Sunday, March 16, 2008

MEET "LU" KEYSTONE'S PVT DANCER

I acquired "LU" from Craig Peters shortly after her first birthday in July 2006. Craig had kept her from the breeding of CH. Hi Definition ex Keystone's Red Ryder. She is a littermate of Mike Spies "Ted" and also Bill Henke's Montero Rock. Craig felt at the time that Lu was just a little too soft to be a field trial competitor. Boy was he wrong. As she matured she became as hard driving as any setter I've owned and has really great bird finding abilities. She almost broke herself as all I ever had to do was tell her to stay as I walked in front of her and she'd watch the bird fly away. Lu sleeps at the end of our bed, rides in the front seat of the truck and wants nothing more than to please you and be with you. Although I said she'd just be my gun dog, I'm going to put her in a couple of trials this spring just for the experience. Then next fall you may see her in some of the major grouse championships.

2 comments:

Mike Spies said...

Dale:

A remarkable resemblance to Ted. Like two peas in a pod.

I don't think these pups are "soft" -- not any more than most setters. These dogs seem to have a lot of fire and birdiness.

Lu's brother Ted just placed second at Setter Springs in a US Complete Shooting Dog trial on Sunday.

I think you will have fun hunting and trialing her!

Mike

Shawn K. Wayment, DVM said...

Enjoyed your blog! Glad to see other people that love bird dogs