Saturday, August 21, 2010

DRIFTBOATS NEED SEATBELTS

Scott Smith Yesterday my friend Jim Shifflet and I had the opportunity to fish the Manistee River with Scott Smith of Adrian, MI. Scott is a dentist by trade( he offered to sharpen our front teeth to be able to bite off leaders)but is better known as a fly fisherman extraordinaire. "Scott is one of the founding partners of the Ausable Angler Fly Shop in Mio Michigan. He began fishing when he was 2 ½ years old and has been a dedicated fly angler since 1984. He has been a lead instructor at the State Council of Trout Unlimited fly fishing school for 19 years. Scott loves to fish streamers but is equally skilled in all aspects of fly fishing. He has fished throughout the world and holds numerous fly fishing world records. Scott has one daughter, four grandchildren and a pack of spaniels" www.ausableanglers.com We met Scott for breakfast in Grayling and then launched his drift boat just below M-72,west of Grayling. A light rain was falling but it turned to partly cloudy with a nice breeze. In late August we expected to fish grasshoppers with a few BWO's thrown in. We were prepared but the fish weren't. We saw many large browns in the crytal clear water but for reasons only mother nature knows they simply weren't interested in feeding. Jim managed to hook a nice brook trout and several small browns. Scott tried ants, hoppers and various streamers but was skunked. Lucky me managed to hook and land the biggest fish of the day, a 10-12 inch brown. We may not have caught many fish but the day passed quickly with lots of good fish stories and both Scott and Jim hitting submerged logs and sending me flying out of the front of the boat. The first time I fell backwards but on Jim's attempt I fell to the side and soaked my right arm to the shoulder. Thus my question: Should drift boats have seatbelts or are my friends trying to tell me something?

No comments: