Monday, October 12, 2009

WORKING MISS DAISY

My friends Peter & Chris Delcollo sent me a young pup to take to LoBank and get started on birds. "Daisy" was a pick of the litter from Pete's 8x Champion SugarKnoll Buckshot and Joan LaBree's female out of Ch. Elhew Fibber Magee and born last May. I'd forgotten just how much work a puppy is but it only took about 10 minutes to fall in love with her. Daisy is incredibly smart and fit into the routine with ease. Molly Bette and Lu are her big sisters and Daisy follows their every move. She's affectionate and loves to curl up in my lap. The second night she slept with us and never stirred. Daisy's First Woodcock Daisy's on quail In the field, lets just say Daisy is not very concerned about where I am. According to her, there is a whole wide world to explore and I think she tries to cover it all in one cast. We're using the check cord and showing her that she'll have more fun if she stays with me. We've introduced her to birds and the 22 blank gun. She seems to have a great nose and has outstanding intensity on point. I've checkcorded her on our training quail and put her into cover where she pointed her first woodcock. We're not sure what's next for Daisy. I'll continue to work her thru early November and then its back to Virginia for the winter and their long quail season. After that we'll decide where Daisy will be best suited. In the meantime she's being spoiled rotten and having the time of her life.

3 comments:

Shawn K. Wayment, DVM said...

Sounds like you all ready have he headed in the right direction...chasing wild birds make dogs! Have fun!

Manuel said...

Great to see the pictures and to hear that she is doing well!
It only took me about 5 minutes to fall in love...so make sure you give her a treat from me :-)

PS: How is her tail doing?

Mike Spies said...

Dale - she is a REALLY nice pup! I was very impressed with her, and was pleased to see her start to handle for you.

I predict great things for Daisy.