Saturday, June 6, 2009

DRAKES.........LOTS OF DRAKES

Last night,just at dusk and during a light rain we had Drakes. Thousands of drake spinners that the rain forced down into the water and created a feeding frenzy of brook and brown trout. My neighbor and friend Jerry from just upstream of LoBank and I leaned against my dock and watched in amazement as fish after fish rose to take the spent wing spinners that came to them. Swoosh.....swoosh.....swoosh Photo courtesy of Gates AuSable Lodge I moved upstram, not twenty yards up from my dock and floated a #14 against a log and BANG! a 12 inch brook attacked it. It was the nicest fish of the season so far. I netted it and reached for my camera. Guess what.....it was still hanging where I left it the night before. Lizzie was in the house and we hollered for her to bring the camera out but she said she didn't hear us. Now this is the same woman who can hear the flick of my lighter when I try to sneak a cigarette out in the garage. Likely story! I sure wish all my western friends who nymph in roaring fast water could have been here to experience the Drake hatch on the North Branch.

4 comments:

Shawn K. Wayment, DVM said...

I could have been there too! I love big beautiful flies and fish on the surface! I hope that hatch lasts for a few days more for ya!

Anonymous said...

Congratulation Dale! I had bugs Friday and Saturday but both nights they came out and mated and went back in the trees....

I continues to amaze me. These designs aren't by accident.

Mike Spies said...

Dale,

I have fished the green drake hatch on the Fall River - at night with nymphal shucks floating by like popcorn on the water. And off in the darkness the slurp and suck of huge trout that would never quite take my fly.

Anonymous said...

This is from the woman with the acute hearing to the man that always carries his cell phone when he fishes! (see previous post) Next time call me from the river!